The Derwen School has a strong ethos of equality and inclusion. We value the individuality of our pupils and allow them to express themselves in a positive and productive way.
We promote a supportive and caring atmosphere where the achievements of our pupils are rewarded, celebrated and continually built upon.
At the Derwen School we believe that everyone should:
• Enjoy learning and celebrate achievements.
• Show care and concern for themselves, others and the environment.
• Treat others with respect and dignity.
• Be safe, happy and healthy.
• Work hard to be a valued member of the school and wider community.
• Accept and tolerate others for their individual differences.
• Develop self-confidence and self-esteem.
Young people receive specialised input from experienced and qualified teachers and care staff and an onsite Therapeutic Team.
We have a multidisciplinary team consisting of;
• Clinical Psychology
• Occupational Therapy
• Speech and Language Therapy.
Therapy is delivered individually with students to address specific needs that are highlighted by teachers, parents and carers and specified in their EHCPs.
We work from a multi-disciplinary team approach. This consists of a combination of different skills and knowledge set to provide a holistic understanding of the difficulties students may present. This allows us to design interventions to meet the unique needs of each student from a variety of perspectives.